Okay, I'm offically now addicted to swing and Big Band. Can anyone recommend any really good swing bands? I'm currently listening to a lot of Big Bad Voodoo Daddy and Atomic Fireballs, but I need to find out other good artists.
Suggestions?
Wednesday, November 17, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Okay, if you're into new swing (i.e., nostalgic swing rather than stuff of the era), I'm recommending the Johnny Favourite Swing Orchestra, the Stray Cats, and Brian Setzer Orchestra (As well as Squirrel Nut Zippers, but Kaedra already mentioned that). I am personally not a big fan of the Cherry Poppin' Daddies, but you might like them. Surprisingly, Robbie Williams did an album of standards, and what I've heard of it is pretty good. Queen Latifah also has a new jazz/swing album out; what I've heard is okay, but it's not particularly melodious.
Of the era, early Frank Sinatra is *class* (it's true; you can't deny it, however much you hate him); I'm talking about the stuff he did with Tommy Dorsey, before he went into making movies (and winning *Oscars* for them, I MIGHT ADD). Of course, some Ella Fitzgerald is big band, and some Bobby Darin is really good as well. Other female singers are Sarah Vaughan (sp) and Dinah Shore. There's some pretty amazing tracks of the Duke Ellington and Count Basie Swing Orchestra together, but those can be hard to come by. Benny Goodman is dead brilliant in all things. Glen Miller is also pretty good; personally, I'm not a huge fan (it's a lot less jazzy than Basie or Ellington). A lot of musical soundtracks from the '30s and '40s are also darn good. My favourites are "Follow the Fleet" and "Roberta." Then, though it's more orchestral than big band, you've got your Gershwin; in my opinion, "An American in Paris" is one of the best orchestral pieces ever written. "Rhapsody in Blue" is the more well-known one, but I don't think it's as good. The main theme of "An American in Paris" makes you forget everything that's going on around you. (I find this is rather dangerous when you're driving on the freeway)
oh, and if you're interested in some more vaudevillian music, you can also check out Al Jolson, especially is *very* high energy rendition of "Swanee." (also: Squirrel Nut Zippers is technically not big band; it's music hall, but now I'm just being anal)
Things I'm recommending against: Bing Crosby, Judy Garland, Gene KElly. They were all known for their strength as musical theatre stars, and that doesn't translate into being good singers. Also, I find Bing Crosby and Judy Garland really annoying. While I LOVE Gene unequivocally, I can tell you it's *not* for his singing abilities.
Fred Astaire is also good for jazz. He does some really kick ass bossa nova stuff.
Good movies to watch for their big band content: Swing Kids, Swing (the movie's crap, but the music's good), Love's LAbours Lost (Branagh's), Everyone Says I Love You, Singin' in the Rain (to a lesser extent), Roberta, and An American in PAris (Oscar Levant does the most amazing disgruntled, dry, sarcastic, unsuccessful piano player I've ever seen)
This is going to sound rather weird, but the soundtrack to the new Ocean's Eleven is really interesting: it takes a lot of the chord progressions/sensibilities of the Rat Packer movies, and converts them into this electronic fusion that has some features of swing and jazz, but is also totally different.
(I'm sorry; I shouldn't get started on big band)
Yes, well . . . I love unleashing the music geek in me.
Wow. Thanks, this helps a great deal. I'm going to be busy for a while just finding all these. I bow down to your music skillz. (what do you mean skills isn't spelt with a z? 12 year olds on internet chat rooms wouldn't lie to me....)
Another good one that Kelly just introduced to me: Combustible Edison. Well, I guess it's not really swing, but it feels like big band music for some reason.
Post a Comment