I love stories. I love being pulled into another world, seeing other visions, going to far-away places. I don't think I'm alone in this. Hell, I'd say story telling is everything that makes us human. Good, evil, poetry, love, science, they all stem from this first power. In communicating with each other, we become so much more than just individuals. Hell, there's some theories that state that the reason we live past reproductive age is so families and communities have someone to pass the stories and lessons on.
If you get right down to it, our lives all only stories we tell ourselves (at least, it is for me). When I look around a room, I don't look at the contrasts, objects, or shapes. Processes beneath my awareness do that, then tell me I'm looking at a shirt, that my hands are chilled, that I'm lonely or tired. I was once listening to an argument about whether we can truly understand people from the past, even though we haven't lived through it. I think we can, because we don't need to go through a famine to imagine "this is what it would feel like for me to be in a famine". The ability to tell stories about ourselves gives us the ability to understand other stories.
Well, that's all I really have to say right now. So does anyone have a story to share?
Saturday, November 20, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment