I'm being to realize that not only am I strange, but that I really don't understand normal people. I don't understand what makes most people tick. Why does wearing a suit make a person respectable? Why is singing in public frowned on? Why does being adult seem to imply stopping having fun, or taking pleasure in the absurd? I mean, I enjoy dressing nice, but I always feel like I'm playing dress-up....
I think this is why I get along so well with kids. They still know why taking everything seriously isn't important. We can laugh about the same thing. (mostly stuffed-shirt adults....)
All I can say to people who live in the normal world: keep it. I want nothing of dying of ulcers in 20 years, working a job I hate for stuff I don't want. I want nothing of pointless status gains, trying to crawl up a ladder made up countless people, all who should know better. If I don't end up rich, famous, or in control of other's lives, I will have considered my life well lived. Leave me to my fungi, my clouds, my entire beautiful, amazing, breathing world. I'll let you keep your suit. We'll see who comes out happier in the end.
Thursday, November 25, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Ha! See, if you took *Sociology* you'd know that those are all social constructions that people buy into. You're being subversive. But, at base, those social constructions are just that: constructions. And, anyway, being "adult" is not necessarily being "serious." See, I think that's one of the reasons we have such a cult of youth in our society; adulthood is associated with a bunch of crap that is totally unnecessary. I know tonnes of adults who aren't serious and boring; but then, they think they act like kids, when they don't really. Kids act stupidly (and by stupid, I don't mean they sing in public. I mean they eat poisonous mushrooms and walk out in traffic).
Post a Comment