(Considering the last post, this one'll probably turn into a discussion on why Abraham Lincoln never won the Hundred Year War....)
Well, since everyone who seems to be interested in making "Maurice, King of Canada" now reads this blog, I'm leaving this forum up for possible movie ideas.
Right now, some of the ideas that have been tossed around are:
Maurice as average bum, tagged for King of Canada. (why is he tagged? Any good ideas? Odd will? Unknown ancestor? I'm partial to he won it unknowingly in a drunken hockey bet.)
Love interest: (probably Rabies) - a devote Irish Catholic, who Maurice loves, but can't marry because.... (she's not French enough? She's not ethnic enough? She's an Albertan, and thus not really Canadian? Any other ideas?)
Narrator: Maurice's faithful compatriot, narrates with a thick French-Canadian accent, a la The 'ocky Sweater. (NFB)
Style: doing scenes backwards through time? Black and White? A musical?
Other suggestions and plot points welcomed.
And now: Create!
Tuesday, November 16, 2004
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
This is going to sound absolutely *twisted* I know, but I have always wanted to do a sex scene as a musical number . . . to the best of my knowledge, this has never been done before.
Suggestions:
How about Maurice is the only direct descendent of the first French governor of Canada way back in the 16th century (whomever that was), and because of a strange/twisted clause in some sort of French language/culture legislation, he becomes the despot of Canada? And how about he's not actually Canadian, but lives in South Africa or something? Culture shock!
Maurice can't make his devout Catholic a queen because of some other clause in the Charter of Rights and Freedoms (I'll find one, don't worry) that says that matters of the state can't be dictated by a religion, and that translates into no monarch of Canada having a religion?
Narrator: I see him not so much as a narrator as a confidante, a la Horatio in Hamlet, personally. He can be the voice-over dude, though.
I'm thinking, however, that making this a musical might make it a wee bit TOO bizarre. I'm also thinking that this should be a full-length movie, rather than a one-act.
Complication: the Canadian military is planning a hostile coup, and highjacks the submarines at West Edmonton Mall.
I like the musical sex scene idea.... difficult to film, but hey, we'll work on it.
Other concepts: as suggested by TJ, the confident can be mute, except when narrating.
We need a kickline somewhere in this.
Not a coup by the army, but by Ralph Kline. He makes such a great villian. I really can't think of a more stereotypical bad-guy, and none at all who would be more Canadian. It also explains why he's using the W. Edmonton subs.
Maybe not entirely musical, but just one or two interludes.
Well, thats it for my ideas right now. more later.
Post a Comment