Monday, January 31, 2005

Television redeems itself!

Sometimes, my faith in humanity becomes restored. Tonight, we turned on the television, to see if there was anything even vaguely interesting. Instead, what we found was this: Rough Science. It's reality television I can get behind: send a team of scientists and engineers to a deserted area, and set them real survival challenges: map a coast-line, build a radio, create paper from scratch. It's actually enjoyable to watch: you can see the scientific process at work, and get into the real joy that is human creation. These aren't pretty people voting each other off, but people working for a common goal.
If more reality television was like this, I'd probably actually watch occasionally. I don't need a show to tell me that humans are rat-bastards who will stab each other in the back for a few dollars: I can see that every day. However, television that shows humans reaching beyond themselves, that I can enjoy.

Ps: Of course this was produced by the BBC. Are those people unable to make a bad show, or have I just not been forced to watch any?

2 comments:

Eric Pedersen said...

I'm doing good; Labs are taking up a lot of time, but I get to go to a honey-bee Research seminar tommorow! Yay! (I am such a geek) How about you? what have you been up to lately?

Ps: thanks for the heads up about Drum Heller. I'll probably send out an application there Saturday. Hehe, I'd love spending a summer screwing with the brains of museum tours....

Kelly Pedersen said...

Heh. I can just see you: Getting a fake "Sven" nametag, talking in an attrocious Swedish accent, and making up shit left and right.
"Ya, und theese is ze ferocious Bigafootacrushaborkaborkasaurus, ya?"