Saturday, January 08, 2005

Disclaimer: this is a pretty personal post, without much relevance to anyone besides me. Feel free to ignore it.

I've come to a realization: I'm really bad at writing. That's not to say I'm a bad writer, since objectively my writing doesn't seem to bring anyone pain. However, anytime I sit down to write, I find myself constantly questioning wording, comprehension, even basic grammar, to the point that I become paralyzed. I go entire weeks without posting here, not because I have nothing to say, but because I honestly can't get what I want out onto the screen. Right now, I've got Open Office open, staring at the screen trying desperately to write a 500 word essay. I can here all you humanities majors scoffing at the idea of a difficult 500 word essay, but I honestly can't even figure out the starting sentence. The only time I never encounter this problem is when I have no choice: when I'm writing essays on finals, I get 90's. When it's the last day before an essay is due, the words just flow. But give me a two month deadline, and I'm stuck spinning my wheels. It doesn't help that I'm naturally inclined to put things off, so everything I do is last minute. And when I do write something, I'm loath to look at it again, for fear that what I've written is entirely incomprehensible.

So, have patience with me, for not posting here, for not responding to comments, for not submitting to things. It's not that I don't want to, it's just sometimes too much to deal with.

2 comments:

Kelly Pedersen said...

I'm not sure that qualifies you as a bad writer, simply someone who works best under pressure. Frankly, I'm the same way. Check the timestamps on my posts to my blog; of the seven +1000 word ones, 4 have been posted after 12:00 AM. In fact, all those have been posted after 1:00 AM. And the one I'm going to write Real Soon Now will be post midnight too. This isn't a composition problem, it's a motivation problem.

As to TJ: Hate to break it to you, dude, but English ain't alone. Hell, it isn't even the worst when it comes to irregularity (it's about midrange, according to my Linguistics prof). And GBS' new alphabet might have cleared up the problem in his time, but I would bet dollars to donuts that by now, there would be problems again. Languages are irregular. The spoken language that has the least irregularities is Klingon, because it was designed without them, and if people _keep_ speaking it, it'll get irregular. Language is like someone with a serious fibre deficiency: regularity is pleasant, but extremely rare condition, one doomed to dissapear very shortly.

As for mocking Chris Tolkien: Hey! Mock him for being an old English fart with a stick so far up his ass that he can hang a coat from where it pokes out his head, but don't let's compare him to Brian Herbert/Alan Dean Foster, please. The only book Chris Tolkien _wrote_ in Middle Earth was the Silmarilion, and that was _heavily_ based on his dad's uncompleted stuff. The Histories of Middle Earth, he's an _editor_, and occasionally an annotater. But that's not the same. He's not adding to the material, just reporting on the history of its development. And I, for one, think it's a damn good idea. There's a metric buttload of cool stuff we'd never know about Middle Earth without Chris Tolkien's willingness to go spelunking in his dad's files.

Fionncara MacEoin said...

hey man go read my blog and then feel insdecure about your english hahahahha.....and i want ot go into this for some dsort of maybe career......i lack all sentence integrity as my english prof told me...just write it out who flippin cares the only way you learn is by doingl...okay I could take some of my advice and give up the elipses but whatever...and if theres judgement going on....well then people have there noses in the air and you dont want to know them anyway...besides they dont so dont worry....unless they do and holy shit am i delusional....and they all think im thick as a post and im some sort of laughing stock....oh crap....not that im important enough to be a laughing stock hah ahaha....anyway if anyone should be paranoid it isnt you so post more cause nobody posts anymore and its starting to get boring....