Sunday, January 02, 2005

A few New Years reflections

Well, another exciting and eventful New Years past. I think I learned (or was reminded of) quite a few important things:

1. Never, ever, mix homemade apple wine and coffee pudding. It doesn't leave you hung over per se, but I imagine that feels a great deal like what a hang-over would feel like if it was invented by a guy with a really mean sense of humor and a penchant for raspberries and cinnamon.

2. The British still have a knack for dry humour. Shawn of the Dead is possibly the funniest movie I have seen in 2004 (with the possible exception of the Incredibles). However, I still consider Bubbah Ho Tep to be the best Indy/cult movie of the year. Shawn was hilarious and had great action, but Ho-tep transcended both humour and action, ascending into a state of zen-like surrealism that my mind wanders through on a daily basis.

3. The most sublime glorious moments are those ones that happen when you just shut up and let the world talk to you. I am still struck by the image of looking up for just a second, and seeing the moonlight broken into a thousand pieces by the swirling snow. I don't know the words to describe how deeply that moment affected me.

4. There are bad movies, there are bad movies, and then there's Lawnmower Man. Those who have spent any time around me know me as a person who adores watching a truly bad film. Therefore, understand what I mean when I say I wish never to think about Lawnmower Man again. When you're half-way through the movie and you're still wondering if this wasn't just a really low budget, oddly shot soft-core porn, you know you have reached a new pinnacle of bad. I'm really starting to wonder what the hell is wrong with Stephen King. Does he sell movie rights to crack-dealers on the street? Does he never watch his own movies? Or, is it that all the stories he ever wrote that were worth making into movies were made into movies in the first 2 years, but the studios know that anything with his name attached would sell, so just produce every story he wrote?
In summary, this movie was bad, bad, bad. Which probably means that it'll become tradition to watch it every New Years, because hey, it's me and TJ.

5. The greatest thing anyone could ever hope for is to find a friend like TJ. I really like having someone around to finish my thoughts, throw me in snow banks, and trust with anything. Knowing people like TJ are what keeps my faith in humanity alive.

6. 1992 was a really useless year. We pulled out the old "1992: Year in Review Trivial pursuit" game (yes, my entire family are all geeks), and were bored to tears. Apparently Ross Perot was a hot topic that year. However, playing the game we found out about the band "Elvis Hitler", who's album "supersadomasochisticexpialidocious" I must now find.

Well, that was my New Years.... Pretty much a standard one for our group, which really is sad beyond belief....

3 comments:

Kelly Pedersen said...

Not a lot to say here, just getting in the first post! Haw haw!
Although you mispelled "penchant" in your first reflection.
Also, wasn't Bubba Ho Tep last year? Huh. 2002, according to IMDB.
Finally, to be fair: I don't think we ever actually _played_ the Trivial Pursuit game. IIRC, we got it as a gift, looked at it once, decided it was pretty silly, and put it away.
Finally, an observation: writing after playing Crimson Skies for a few hours is weird; my eyes are used to a rapidly wobbling horizon, and keep wanting the screen to tilt.

Eric Pedersen said...

Okay, but I just saw Bubbah Ho-Tep this year, so I'm still counting it. And the spelling is now correct, you bloody pedant.

Kelly Pedersen said...

Yup, pedant, that's me. And, hey, I even made a spellung flme without making a spelling error of my own! Gotta be some kind of record!