Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Well, I've finally posted on Blog 9 From Outer Space, on Logan's Run (for my more infrequent visitors: Blog Nine is my side-blog, designed as a tribute to the lost art of the bad movie).

In other news:
For anyone in the city this summer, I'm wanting to start a game of Killer. For those not familiar with the game, essentially it's a mock assassination game, where the players attempt to "kill" one another over the course of three or four weeks, using dart guns, "poison" stickers, and alarm clock "bombs". I haven't figured out a format as of yet, but it'll likely involve 2 - 3 teams, trying for the most and most imaginative kills. It's a great excuse to backstab, sneak, and live in a state of total paranoia for a month or so.

So, any takers?

10 comments:

Brennan said...

Eric.

I need your mailing address.

For, er, unspecified reasons.

Brennan said...

And WHADDYA MEAN this is your 'side blog'? How can you do that? That BLOWS MY MIND.

Eric Pedersen said...

sorry, that was bad grammar's fault. What I meant was that Blog 9 was my side blog. Do you have an email I can send the mailing address to? I'm somewaht leary of posting my address on the net.

Anonymous said...

Oh come on Eric what possible bad good come of posting your adress on the net, besides all one has to do is go to mysask and they can work it out for themselves. Think of all the neat stuff you would get, and all the cool visitors to your home.

Anonymous said...

Ok new game, it is called: 64 Species.

Background: according to nested cladistics there is only a possibility of 64 species if you just use Kingdom, Phylum, Class, Order, Family, Genus, species. This is do to the fact that if you have true dichotomous splitting, their can only be two Families per Order, ect. Now granted their is more then 64 species in the world, cause a lot of them don't fit on clades as dichotomies, and two we use sequence cladistics more often then not (with sequence cladistics you don't need to name every clade so you can fit more things in) and lastly we make up stupid things like infraorder and superfamily.

Goal: To chose the coolest 64 species of extant/extinct organisms to be allowed to survive.

How: I would suggest either starting at the Kingdom level, then picking two Phyla that represent it and just keep going up that way. Or you could pick your pinnacle species and work your way up and down the tree from there. (note: no fake organisms)

What can you win: A few minutes of bio-geek respect, and the possibility that I will attempt to preserve the winners 64 species when I clean up cladistics (with fire arms)

-Tj

Eric Pedersen said...

I do like this game. Finally, a chance to get rid of all those pesky chordates! Of course, you could add Domain on top of that, giving a possible 128 species, but I doubt either of us could name 64 species of bacteria or archaea off the tops of our heads. Mind you, traditional cladistic methods are absolutely useless for procaryotes, considering they swap genomes more often than I change socks.

I shall endevour to get a start on my list. I've got a few ideas in mind already.

(also: how are obligate mutualist pairs counted in cladistics? Just as 2 species that happen to hang out a great deal?)

Anonymous said...

Hey Kelly, do you know the name of the song that goes: "Two wheels in the ditch, both hands of the wheel, I'm in a four wheel slide on my way back to you" I as you specifically cause I think you told me once, that and you had words for the last song I asked about... congratulations official song nerd.

Kelly Pedersen said...

Sorry, TJ, I don't know that one. I think it must have been someone else that told you about it. Google proved useless as well. V. disapointing.
Oh, and it's music geek, dammit. I'm definitely that.

Anonymous said...

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/04/04/science/04ant.html?_r=1&ex=1144814400&en=3c591002&oref=slogin

A neat little bit on gliding in non winged ants.

Anonymous said...

Killer, eh.....hmmmm. I have dreamt of being an assassin....ask me about my Burger King dream sometime