Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Rosebud in June

Stat-counter is an incredibly addictive tool.
apparently, my site is the first one to pop up if you search for Platyhelminthes fighting.

Also, this marks the last of the Steeleye Span titles. Fun as it was, I really lack the qualifications to continue this game. Next series: They Might Be Giants songs involving scientific phenomena! That's where I'm a Viking. Well, there and a due to good half of my ancestry.

In other news: Exciting organism pictures!
These are slime molds. They aren't technically classified as part of Kingdom Fungi, but they exhibit similar styles of fruiting bodies. They spend most of their lives as amoeba-like cells, but in times of stress form multi-cellular mobile forms, which eventually form fruiting bodies (shown in the picture). These are especially interesting, because the mobile aggregate is often formed of many unrelated individuals. This is a strange case of many 'strangers' sacrificing their lives so that a few (ie: those that get into the fruiting body) can reproduce. Also, they may provide clues to the evolution of multi-cellularity in other groups (eg: us!).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bah, us are over rated. Incidentally I assume you have seen information on the game Spore, barring you can't teach your creature to breath water by holding it under (oh those poor Norns) it looks like a neat game.

In other news, I heard a great story today about Xenoturbella, basically there was an issue of Nature (not as good as Reality) that had two separate studies "proving" that it was a bivalve even though it looks nothing like. One of the studies looked at the all powerful DNA which is never wrong (or so the stinky stinky genetic workers think, I think they should get out in the field now and then and express a less pale phenotype). In the other study they cut one of these things up and saw it was filled with bivalve like embryos. Now there was a group that read this and went, that can't be right, so they did a third test: firstly they pulled the tunic off this thing and tested it separate from the rest of the body. Well the body tested that it was a bivalve, but the tunic said it was near to the hemichordates. Turned out it eats larval bivalves and that was what people where testing..... Proving bivalves are most closely related to bivalves, and the "bivalve like embryos" they where seeing was acutely bivalve larva (which I mean is very bivalve like).
-Tj

Anonymous said...

Only on Blogger itself do you get the whole Platyhelminthes fighting as the first searched (out of 5 articals, two being you I think) on google it is actually Lec 13 of my Zool250 class

Kelly Pedersen said...

I really have nothing to say about the rest of your post, TJ, as I am an ignoramus when it comes to complex biology stuff. However, "express a less pale phenotype" is awesome, and will enter my vocabulary forthwith.

Eric Pedersen said...

Wow, that's a painfully sad tale of sampling error. I'm betting the Mollusc groups are kicking themselves now... Still, that's not really a genetic testing problem, as much as a "do your bloody error checking and actually do a life-cycle evaluation, ya idgets!" problem.

Although I do have to agree: genetics, while the huge money-bringer, is hardly the be-all and end-all of biology.


Also: I have seen spore videos, and I be drooling over it. I'll probably have to upgrade my system just to run it, but ah well.

We need to get someone who can code competently, so we can get them to set up macros to do our Norn breeding for us. Or just get a grad student. I hear you can pay them in ramen.

Finally: I was the first search term for penis fighting when I posted this. Your lecture notes must of moved up in rankings.