Wednesday, March 02, 2005
I've kicked the habit.
Well, I never thought I'd get here, but I'm officially down to around 2 cups of coffee a day. That's down from 16 around finals, so I think its an improvement. It actually hasn't been as hard as I thought it would be. It just ended up that I drank less and less coffee all the time. (mind you, if I start work at a farm this year, that count's probably going to go up again. I know very few farmers who don't drink coffee in vast quantities.)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
Being snarky: Generally, when someone says "I've kicked the habit", they mean that they've, y'know, stopped. I picture a guy smoking a cigarette, saying "Oh, yeah, I've kicked the habit."
But, hey. Good for you anyway. The less of the filthy brown water you drink, the better, IMHO. :-)
when I say "kicked the habit" I'm meaning "no longer addicted". That's the important thing to me. At least part of this was proving to myself that I wasn't dependant on coffee for enjoyment. Mind you, I'm starting to think that the coffee was helping keep away the rampant depression, but that could just as easily be attributed to mid-winterness. I think I'm going to have to start doing clinical studies on myself to make sense of me. (no, wait, can't do that, because that would be doing medicine *spits*).
Hmm. I'm really not sure how stais fields solve the problem of tenure. I mean, what, exactly, are you putting into stasis, here? Putting yourself in doesn't really work, since you're more likely to lose your position if you're not out there teaching classes and abusing grad students. Putting grad students in the stasis fields is fun, but really not germane to the question. And putting administrators in the fields is a very tempting prospect, and it means they can't fire you, but they also can't write you checks. Unless you're putting yourself in the field, and betting that you'll get woken up every century or so when people need your expertise. Rather a large gamble, frankly.
-Dr. Kelly "Hans Zarkon" Pedersen, WM.D.
Post a Comment