Saturday, March 19, 2005

They've still got it.

It's always nice to have all your hopes fufilled. Went to Captain Tractor live at the Pat last night, and it was frigging awesome. The guys were unbelievably energetic, and just fun to watch. I also found out that I know basically all the words to all their songs, except for the stuff from the new album, and I'm learning those now.
Which brings me to the new album. I have to say, I didn't know what to expect when I heard that Brock Skywalker had left the band. But this new album is just damned good. It's got a lot of the feel of their first couple albums (it reminds me of Land a great deal). TJ, you're probably going to enjoy this one. It's got more of their patent silly songs than the last two albums had (example: Happy to be Unhappy: it's a gothic love song) and it has a more folky, gritty sound. It's not perfect; It's missing the angry edge that Brock always seemed to bring to songs. Also, it feels a bit too clean and polished for my tastes. Still, overall, a damned fine mix of tunes. As CT put it, this isn't a comeback album; This is a "doing what they always did, and having fun while doing it" album.

No comments: