Sunday, March 13, 2005

Goldberg, eat your heart out....

For those who love the idea of Goldberg Machines....

First, the Honda ad that inspired these guys. Pretty cool looking, but just watch what it inspired.
Now I feel the need to set one of these up. Who has a free 8 hours or so?

3 comments:

Kelly Pedersen said...

Well, I'd love to watch it being set up, but I doubt I have the engineering chops to do more than fetch and carry. Still, cool indeed.

Anonymous said...

Ok a few things to start off with, perhaps it is just me (which is possible as I have had very little sleep, by which non for 24 hours when I saw the Honda ad) but why do the wheels, which are not going at a spectacular speed keep going up the ramp after they transfer their energy? My understanding of physics tells me they should roll back down hill instead.... but I'm a paleo student not a physics.....
And another thing as cool as the idea was, it still kind of sucked for a Goldberg machine. I mean 22 steps to unveil the credits... pathetic. I say if you are going to design a machine that does absolutely nothing, at least make it do absolutely nothing in a big way. The record as far as I can find was 113 steps, I figure we can do one with 200 steps minimal. But that's just me.
-Tj

Eric Pedersen said...

Well, as for the wheel, from what I saw on the Slashdot conversation, they set it so that the center of the wheel wasn't the same as the C of G, so that it continued on. And I agree, we should have at least 200 steps if we make one.