Monday, February 14, 2005

There is something inherently irksome about being handed a package of condoms with a "safe sex" message right before Valentines Day. I can understand the sentiment: un-planned pregnancies and VDs both suck. However, I
a) don't think condoms are the only, or even best, method of birth control. A bigger part is perhaps, oh say Avoiding casual sex with strangers! A little thought, care, and, hey, even a little self-restraint go a long way.
b) Don't like the implication this seems to have; ie: Of course you're having sex. Everyone does it. If you don't have sex you must be unloved or deviant. Yes, I'm bitterly single, but I'm also chaste by choice as well as by necessity. Sex, right now, doesn't seem that compelling an activity. I don't see how this makes me abnormal, but having condoms shoved in my face seems to say: "Have Sex Now, you puritan scum!"

However, I will eat the cinnamon hearts that came with the bundle, and maybe I'll practice making balloon-animals later... :)

ps: Why is my house no longer filled with balloons?! There is nothing more amusing that having a living-room full of balloons. It's just fun.

No comments: