
(Brigid: thanks for posting Barrett's Privateers. Finally gave me an idea for something to write about.)
I've always had a fasination with sailing ships, ever since first sailing on Turtle Lake. However, a few years back, we found out I wasn't the only one in my family's history with an interest in ships: my great-great-great grandfather was the one who designed the Marco Polo, the first ship to circumnavigate the globe in under 6 months (she made it in 5 months, 21 days). That's why I've been following the Marco Polo II project with great interest. It looks to be an amazing project, building I believe a 1/2 scale recreation.
One of the reasons for the trip to the east this summer, at least for me, is just to get a chance to see some of the history behind this.
(also: the project webpage mentioned a NFB movie titled "Marco Polo: Queen of the Seas", and album called the Marco Polo Suite. If anyone has any ideas of where I could find either, it would be greatly appreciated.)

James Smith, builder of the Marco Polo

9 comments:
I bet you can't name all the sails! :op (is that a raspberry? I was trying to blow a raspberry.) i.e., I can. I'm just that cool.
Is she only a 24? I can only see 12 gunports.
From all I can see, she's just a 24 gun ship. But that isn't terribly surprising, considering she was used for transport and passengers.
And I'm afraid I can't answer what kind of sails it has. My nautical-fu is somewhat low. (however, I can shout YARRRHHHH! with the best of them.)
Now, if the thing could fly, I could talk you're ear off about it.
I have nothing particular to comment on, besides to point out that I, too, bask in the reflected glory of our distant ancestor. However, I wholly and completely endorse the title of this post, and demand that the next 5 posts you make should also be from the same source. DEMAND IT!!
Farewell and Adieu, to you Spanish Ladies,
Farewell and Adieu, to you ladies of SPAAAIIN!
For we've received orders to sail for Old England,
And perhaps nevermore will we see you AGAAAIIN .....
We'll rant and we'll ROOOAR, like true British sailors,
We'll rant and we'll ROOOAR, all on the salt sea!
Until we strike soundings in the Channel of Old England,
From Ushant to Scilly, 'tis 35 leagues!
I've always wondered if the ocean version was the original, or was it the Austrailan "Queensland Drovers"? I suspect the sea chanty, but I could be wrong...
"Spanish Lady" was first registered on December 14, 1624, but the common version that everyone knows (i.e. the one I've been typing) was, according to the Oxford Book of Sea Songs, first registered in 1796. The Australian version was first published in 1891, and the Canadian version in 1912. So yes, Spanish Ladies is the oldest. Accept no substitutes.
The British Navy and Folk Music from the British Isles are two of my things.
Bold Nelson's praise I am going to sing,
(Not forgetting our glorious King)
He always did good tidings bring,
For he was a bold commander!
Not that I need encouragement to sing my Horatio's praises.
Thanks. Info is good! Although, of course, the Australian version isn't a sea song. Quite the opposite, really...
Post a Comment