Friday, February 17, 2006

Nature red in tooth and claw and... Mycorhyzae? Penis Fencing? Back Spines? That's it. I give up....

And now for the gripping conclusion to the list that I'm sure most people have forgotten was actually ever going on!
This final installment of the list of great animals of 2005. This week's stellar line includes: a whole mishmash of phyla, with no rhyme nor reason to it! With that caveat out of the way, let the games begin:


3. Flatworms! Phylum Platyhelminthes. Specifically, penis-fighting flatworms, Imogine lateotentare. These little guys are hermaphrodites (which really must make the dating scene somewhat less stressful..) but with a twist: to mate, they first engage in a lengthy fight, in which they try to pierce
the body of the other with their penis. The loser gets impregnated, and has to produce the eggs. The winner, presumably, continues on to try and repeat the victory. Here's a link to the video: http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2458366?htv=12. (note: This image isn't from wikipedia. Instead, it seems to be from a press release by the discovers of these guys. The link leads to the article where I found the image.)


2. Fictional creatures! My personal favorite: drop-bears. These things apparently first originated in Australia, but I've got reliable reports from my uncle about there occurrence in the northern end of Saskatchewan, where their primary occupation seems to be scaring gullible surveyors (my uncle having a similar sense of humour as me....) so they must be a very quick-spreading species. Since this really isn't a trait normally associated with koalas (the animals which Australians normally consider the drop-bear's closest relative) I figure they must actually be a relative of the Rodents of Unusual Size.
Other fun fictional animals: Giant Prairie Land Squid, hoopsnakes, and marmosets (they must be too evil to exist!) Unfortunately, there are very few non-vertebrate made up animals. (Come on, urban-legend people! We need abominable roundworms too!)

1. And the number one animal of the year is..... Hallucigenia! (what, you thought I just made the name up?) These prehistoric critters have always been a puzzle. They were first given the name due to the unbelievable appearance. In fact, at first early investigators didn't know which side to put up on the damned thing, and there's still some question that we have the right orientation now. Even classification is almost impossible, since it bears almost no resemblance to any modern species. You all really need to read the wikipedia article linked to here to get the full appreciation of these bizarre, wonderful animals.







An honorary mention: LICHENS!!! Glorious, wondrous fungus/algae pair-bonds! Now, I know what you're all thinking (or not): "but Eric, lichen aren't animals, ye daft bugger!" To this I reply: go get your own damned list! Also, since all creatures used to be classed as either animals or plants, and fungi are more closely related to animals than plants, they get included (hell, if people get away with counting sponges as animals, these guys can get it too).

I shall just let you all bask a few select images of these prefect examples of symbiosis:



















13 comments:

The Venomous Bee said...

I remember that from Biology 20 -- they are a symbiotic relationship between animal parts and plant parts. I was so good at biology in high school. *sigh*. I was REALLY good at it, and I REALLY liked it. I kind of miss that. I loved looking at little life forms under microscopes and such. But I never would have survived First Year Biology.

The Venomous Bee said...

I also TOTALLY remember platyhelminthes from Biology 20.

Anonymous said...

Umm I remember this list was only for extant criters.... last time I looked nothing at the Burges Shale was up and jumping about....

Eric Pedersen said...

Ya, I know. But I had to make an exception for those guys. Plus, once the buick's up and running, we can go make them extant!
To make it up to you, I could post some write-ups on dead thingers. I think I'd like to post interesting creature blurbs more often anyways, especially since these posts have gotten more response than most of the stuff I'm writing about.

Kelly Pedersen said...

With bagpipes! Of course, that ends the conversation, since no-one can stand bagpipes. However, since the conversation started with haggis, that's probably not much of a loss.

Anonymous said...

For future reference nobody can also stand Kelly.... I mean.......

Kelly Pedersen said...

Heh. It's funny, actually. I can't decide what I enjoy more: bagpipes and haggis, or annoying those who also enjoy bagpipes and haggis...

Eric Pedersen said...

Kelly, you do know I can kill you with my brain....

Kelly Pedersen said...

Really? I see no evidence of you being a hot, crazy, chick. Well, unless you were planning on taking it out and beating me to death with it. Though even that would be kinda squishy.

The Venomous Bee said...

I think there should be a law against waiting this long between posts.

The Venomous Bee said...

If you post again, I might move you up in my links.

The Venomous Bee said...

O the year was 1778 ...
How I wish I was in Sherbrooke now ...
A letter of marque came from the king ...
To the scummiest vessel I've ever seen ...

The Venomous Bee said...

God damn them AAALLLLL ..
I was told we'd cruise the seas for American gold ...
We'd fire no guns, shed no TEEEEEARS!
Now I'm a broken man on a Halifax pier, the last of Barrett's Privateers ...