Friday, October 29, 2004

Welcome to the New World

Wow, but if this isn't going to be a fun century. The so-called developing world is starting to show new teeth . The World Court is gaining prominence, everywhere in the world, people are starting to show new life. Well, except for those parts which we seem to live in, or hear about. I mean, I expect to hear about "terrorism in every corner of the known world" from Fox, and "Bush's ability to destroy everything we love and hold dear" from some of the more liberal sites, but I have never seen a story on real construction and growth in any country outside of the West. (unless, of course, that growth was paid for and organized by groups of well-meaning pretty western people)

Its time we started getting our heads out of our asses. For too long, we've thought that the only way to 'solve the third-world problem' is to be good Samaritan and gift people with our wealth. Well, from the looks of it, it may well be the "developing world" that catches us in the end....

No comments: