Wednesday, October 27, 2004

Hobbits found in Indonesia!

http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/story?id=198867&page=1

Next, I'm sure we'll here an announcement that "a tall, grey bearded hominid has been found in bottom of large mine shaft, locked in eternal combat with a prehistoric horned hominid."

1 comment:

Eric Pedersen said...

It could also be a case of severe genetic drift, or sexual selection. With small islands, the predator population probably wasn't signifigant enough to keep size as a important feature, and a limited food supply would favour smaller, less enegry-demanding individuals.

Also, while brain/body ratios seem to be crutial, a minimum amount of brain matter has to be there for sentience. I mean, the sensory cortexes alone need a minimum amount of space to be able to process visual information. We really don't have any ideas on the threshhold values for minimum brain matter for intelligence, but I think its safe to say that there is a minimum amount.

And it's nice to see One eyed, one horned, flying purple people eaters posting...