Sunday, February 18, 2007

Horrific abuses of population biology

Because I'm bored, and since absolutely no one who reads this gives a damn about population ecology, I'm going to post about it (also, this makes a nice precursor to the ever-elusive post on the biology of Pirates and Ninja that I've been threatening to post).

First: something old: the ecology of Vampires in Buffy the Vampire Slayer (warning: pdf file). This is actually a remarkably nicely written primer to modelling predator-prey populations, all wrapped up in Weadon-y [or Whedon, appearently] goodness. It sets out to answer the age old question: how the hell do vampires in Sunnydale not either kill everyone or get entirely wiped out?

Second: something new: a post from a blog I regularly scan, I'm a chordata, Urochordata! (with a pun like that, who could resist?). The poster, a population ecologist, has created a statistical model linking sanity in grad students with increased productivity! For those who don't want to read the whole thing, even if it contains an awesome graph, the primary conclusions are:

"1) Your sanity and productivity are intimately linked.
2) Being involved in the community and taking breaks to enjoy all that Northern California has to offer may seem insignificant, but, really, it’s what holds everything together.
3) Caffeine is your lord. Your master. Your father, mother, secret lover."


That third one there I can heartily endorse. I'm still a bit sketchy about California being good for my mental health though....

2 comments:

Kelly Pedersen said...

I am highly amused. However, two nitpicks. First, it's "Whedon", dammit. Second, Northern California is, like, totally different from other parts of California, by all accounts. We're talking like the difference between Southern Ontario and Northern Ontario here, where they might as well be different provinces. So, probably it wouldn't be as bad as you think.

Eric Pedersen said...

Fine. Your stupid "spelling errors" are fixed (sort of). Curse you, English language, cccccuuuurrrsseee yyyyoooouuu!